The Skinny Guy Muscle-Gain Meal Plan
Sick of being stick thin? Get the right fuel into your body so you can change that!
This meal plan is tailored for men who want to build muscle. Check out the Skinny Guy Workout for the workout that goes with this meal plan.
TARGET: 3,000 CALORIES, 300g CARBS, 225g PROTEIN, 100g FAT
Forging new muscle requires a menu that is high in both carbs and calories. But remember, going on a muscle-building diet is not an excuse for eating everything in sight. Instead, you’ll eat just enough high-quality, nutrient-dense carbs when your body needs them most—around your workouts. Note that the plan here is for a guy who trains in the afternoon. If your sessions are in the morning, simply rearrange it so you’re eating the starch containing meals before and right after your workout and then avoid starchy carbs later in the day.
If you want to stay healthy and have more energy, this is the plan for you. It’s relatively low in carbs and very high in protein, and it emphasizes antioxidant-rich foods to improve the health of your blood vessels while also warding off inflammation—two factors that accelerate the rate at which every cell in your body ages.
• Meal 1: Contains starchy carbs
• Meal 2: Few carbs, if any
• Meal 3: Few carbs, if any
• Meal 4: (Post-Workout Nutrition) Contains starchy carbs
• Meal 5: Contains starchy carbs
• Meal 6: Contains starchy carbs
Sample Meal Options
MEAL 1: CHEESY SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH SCALLIONS • 3 omega-3 eggs • 4 egg whites (to add variety, you can switch out for 2 slices turkey bacon, 2 small chicken sausages, 2 slices Canadian bacon, or ¼ cup canned salmon) • ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese • 2 scallions, chopped (switch out for 2 tbsp salsa, ¼ cup diced onions, or 2 tbsp diced sun-dried tomatoes) • 2 slices Ezekiel bread (switch out for 1 multi-grain English muffin, 3 corn tortillas, 1 large flour tortilla, or 1/3 cup rolled oats) • 1 small apple (switch out for 2 kiwis, 1 small banana, or 1 cup raspberries)
BLUEBERRY ALMOND SMOOTHIE
• 2 scoops vanilla protein powder • 1 cup blueberries (switch out for ¾ cup frozen mango chunks) • 1 oz almonds (switch out for 1 oz cashews) • 1 cup vanilla almond milk (switch out for vanilla coconut milk) • 1 cup water • 3–4 ice cubes
MEAL 3: GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH TOMATO BEAN SALAD
• 6 oz fl ank steak (switch out for 6 oz salmon fi llet; 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; or 6 oz trout) • 1 tomato, diced • ½ cucumber, diced • 1 cup chickpeas (switch out for 1 cup black beans, 1 cup kidney beans, or 1 cup Great Northern beans) • 1 tsp olive oil
MEAL 4: POST-WORKOUT NUTRITION
•Recovery shakecontaining 50g carbs + 25g protein
MEAL 5: ROASTED CHICKEN WITH QUINOA SALAD
• 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (switch out for 6 oz pork tenderloin, 5 oz Buffalo rib eye, or 5 oz top round beef) • 1/3 cup quinoa, dry measure (switch out for 1/3 cup couscous, ¼ cup brown rice, or ¼ cup wild rice) • 2 tbsp walnuts (switch out for 3 tbsp slivered almonds, 2 tbsp chopped pecans, or 2 tbsp shelled and chopped pistachios) • 2 tbsp Craisins (switch out for ½ cup quartered grapes, 2 tbsp golden raisins, or 2 tbsp unsweetened,
MEAL 6: YAMS AND PARMESAN WHITE FISH
•6 oz tilapia (switch out for 5 oz tuna steak, 7 oz cod, or 6 oz shrimp) • 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese • 2 medium yams (switch out for 1/3 cup Amaranth, 1/3 cup wheat berries, or 1/3 cup pearl barley) • 1 tbsp butter (switch out for 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil, or 1 tbsp coconut oil) • 1 cup broccoli fl orets (switch out for 4 stalks of asparagus)