Connect with us
The Top Six Diets of 2013
The Five Factor Diet
Developed by renowned fitness and nutrition expert, Harley Pasternak, the 5 Factor Diet is so simple you can count the concepts on one hand: three meals plus two snacks spaced evenly apart, each of which has all of the following five factors:
1. Healthy carbohydrates: whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and low-glycemic fruits (usually those with edible skin, edible seeds, or citrus)
2. Lean protein: nonfat Greek yogurt, poultry, shellfish, seafood, or egg whites
3. Fiber: at least 10 grams per meal and 5 per snack. Both types are important. Soluble fiber—found in lentils, apples, oranges, beans, psyllium, and cucumbers—attracts water and slows the emptying of your stomach, so you feel fuller longer. Insoluble fiber doesn’t dissolve in water and helps move food and waste through your digestive tract. It can be found in whole grains; brown rice; tomatoes; grapes; and dark, leafy vegetables.
4. Healthy fats: fish oils, avocados, and olive oil, with minimal use of dairy fats and frying oils
5. No-calorie beverage: water, sparkling water, green tea, and flavored waters.
Some research suggests that diet sodas may actually cause weight gain, perhaps because your satiety center feels cheated when the imitation sugar flavor doesn’t deliver the goods. “The No. 1 cause of death due to lifestyle factors is obesity,” Pasternak says. “Nobody’s dying from diet soda, so if you really want one now and then as a treat, that’s OK.”●How much of each, you ask? Pasternak says not to get bogged down by weights and measures. “Focus on meal composition and frequency and you’ll naturally begin to eat less and lose more.”
Visit 5factor.com for more information.
Watch six trainer/athletes attempt to power through a 15-minute full body CrossFit workout.
Danny Boome's Tips on Grilling Fish [VIDEO] Celebrity chef Danny Boome shares the secret to getting fresh-tasting grilled fish.
Bodyweight Workout: Six-Pack Plank Variations Rip up your core from the floor with this 8-move sequence routine.
Easy Hairstyles Every Guy Should Know How to Do Justin Timberlake's hair stylist and AXE expert Amy Komorowski demonstrates how to do two classic looks every guy should master.