Sicilian Chickpea Stew
This is one of those meals that is full of flavor and texture, and the smell alone will take you to Sicily. It is relatively quick and simple and certainly won’t break the budget.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish (red) onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, peeled, leaves removed, and diced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds tsp paprika
- Juice and zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 4 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 6 large leaves of Swiss chard, stalk removed and roughly shredded
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat; add the onion, carrot, celery, and fennel seeds. Cook slowly for about 15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add paprika, orange zest and juice, and white wine and cook until liquid is almost reduced.
2) Add chickpeas, tomatoes, Swiss chard, and parsley. Finish with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Allow to sit and steep for 20 minutes before serving.