Conor McGregor is back where he started—or so he says.
After previously announcing his early retirement, failing to appear for promotional duties, and then scornfully reversing course—a publicity stunt that got him pulled from the UFC 200 title match—the 27-year-old fighter tweeted Monday that he'll be fighting in the upcoming event. He specifically thanked Dana White, UFC'S president, and Lorenzo Fertitta, UFC's chairman and CEO, for "getting this one done for the fans."
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 25, 2016
There's just one problem: Neither White, Fertitta, nor UFC has confirmed McGregor's return. Even hours after McGregor's tweet, the official webpage for UFC 200, which is slated for July 9, still lists the matchup as "TBA vs. TBD."
UPDATE: White has contradicted McGregor's tweet, telling Yahoo! Sports that "it's not true." "We haven't talked to Conor or his manager since the press conference," White told reporter Kevin Iole. "I don't know why he would tweet that."
It's the latest salvo in McGregor's battle of cold shoulders and hard stares against UFC over his promotional obligations. Last week, McGregor announced on Twitter that he was planning to "retire young" and refused to participate in promotions, which prompted White to pull McGregor from the card. McGregor essentially admitted the gambit was a ploy for hype, and he wrote on social media that he was not retiring, but that he did not want to deal with promotional responsibilities.
I am just trying to do my job and fight here. I get paid to fight ... https://t.co/xW1P3G2710
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 21, 2016
When White scratched McGregor from the card last week, the UFC boss announced that the UFC was working on a new fight. Nate Diaz—who McGregor was originally scheduled to fight—said that he was only interested in fighting against McGregor: "I came to fight Conor McGregor and I don't have too much interest in anyone else,” Diaz said Friday.
UFC has not made any announcements about McGregor getting back on the card, or if the Diaz fight will go on as scheduled. McGregor wrote on social media last week that he would be willing to come to New York for the next set of promotional events for the fight.
McGregor is one of the biggest stars in the UFC, and the rematch against Diaz was expected to be one of the most anticipated fights of the year. McGregor previously lost to Diaz at UFC 196 in a second-round submission.