Only three days have passed since bombs exploded near the finish line at the Boston Marathon, and we’re shocked by how quickly people are jumping to help the city bounce back from the tragic event that left three people dead and more than 100 injured. (Then again, a rapid-fire relief effort is exactly what we’d expect from anyone who bangs out 26.2 miles like it’s no big deal).
One initiative we think will help Boston in a big way: Adidas, official sponsor of the Boston Marathon, just launched a limited-edition “Boston stands as one” tribute tee ($26.20, adidas.com). One-hundred percent of proceeds from the workout shirt will benefit One Fund Boston, which was set up just 48 hours after the marathon to help raise money for victims and their families.
“The selflessness and compassion demonstrated by the City of Boston, the first responders, the Boston Athletic Association and all marathon volunteers in providing assistance to the injured have stuck with us and inspired us,” Patrik Nilsson, president of Adidas America, said in a news release. “We commend Boston—and those associated with the City and the Marathon—for their reaction to this very challenging situation. We applaud them for standing together as one on Monday and in the days which have followed.”
Looking for more ways to help? Try these:
- Lace up for Boston. Dedicate your miles to those who may never run again. #BostonStrong runs will take place across the country on Monday, April 22, a week after the Boston Marathon. Check out pavementrunner.com to find a group run near you.
- Double your donation. The Kraft family, owners of the New England Patriots, is matching donations dollar for dollar, up to $100,000. Visit patriots.com for more info.
- Give blood. This one's a no-brainer: Whenever disaster strikes, the American Red Cross needs extra help. Visit redcrossblood.org to schedule a donation appointment.
- Reebok Shaq Attaq: The Big Re-ReleaseThe Reebok Shaq Attaq is being reissued Friday, April 19. We caught up with the big man himself to pick his brain on life, basketball, and everything in between.
- A Modern Take on Gatsby StyleTry these 7 ways to channel Jay Gasby's sophisticated style.