If you've been watching BET's hilarious new show, Real Husbands of Hollywood, you may have been surprised like us to see Boris Kodjoe bust out some serious comedic skills. We know Boris from badass action flicks like Resident Evil, not from a comedy club. And if you haven't had a chance to catch the show, you're going to want to add it to your DVR lineup stat. Created by funnyman Kevin Hart and starring Hart, Nick Cannon, J.B. Smoove, and Kodjoe, this spot-on parody spoofs the kinds of painful reality shows your girlfriend has probably forced you to sit through at least once or, oh, a thousand times.
We recently had the chance to meet up with Kodjoe when he visited the Men's Fitness office in New York City and the instant he walked through our doors we learned another little known fact about the actor. The dude seriously knows his clothes. Dressed impeccably in a pristine, fitted suit, we assumed he travels with a personal stylist. Turns out, not only is he is own stylist, he's also a designer. Kodjoe co-founded World of Alfa, a website and clothing line specializing in custom men's suits, and it's changing the way guys suit up.
Imagine not having to waste an entire day trudging from store to store, not being poked and prodded by a tailor, and not spending a fortune on a run-of-the-mill suit. That's exactly what World of Alfa is offering. Says Kodjoe: "We've figured out a way to make custom suits affordable for everyone and it's changed the game. Suits are just $200. Shipping is just $30. It's all custom hand-made. You design all of this yourself. You pick from every single detail. Now people who've never had the chance to wear custom, are exposed to the luxury of a custom suit. When they put it on they're like 'Oh my god, this is such a big difference!'"
To demonstrate how easy the whole thing is Kodjoe walked our Social Media Manager, Chris Hunt, through the process in under 10 minutes, leaving Chris with a dropped jaw and a newfound interest in going custom. Even taking your measurements is made easy thanks to a little video that pops up and teaches you how to get the exact numbers you need.
With clients like Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Barkley, and Rick Fox, it's obvious that this actor/entrepreneur knows his stuff. So when it comes to your next suit purchase be smart and follow his go-to advice:
- Always do custom, hand-made. Every man deserves a custom suit. When you buy off the rack you always compromise style, price, fit, whatever. With custom, it's impossible to go wrong
- Never go for more than two buttons on a jacket. Anything beyond two buttons gets ridiculous.
- Keep it solid. What I see often is that guys have these really big patterns on a suit and have another pattern on the shirt, and then have a third pattern on the tie. So you've got to keep it solid. It's ok to have one or two patterns, but don't overdo it.
- A suit should fit, meaning it's cut to your body creating classic lines. A lot of guys order suits way too big.
Want more style and grooming advice delivered right to your inbox? Sign up for our Off the Clock newsletter here.
- Hey, Brooklyn Decker: Do Women Like Facial Hair?Not sure if you should shave before your big date? This hot actress and model has answers to all of your questions about scruff.
- Man Up With Gerard ButlerIn our exclusive interview, the ultimate badass talks about gladiator workouts, action-loving women, and training for his new film Olympus Has Fallen.