From jungles to volcanoes to the ultimate surf spots, discover the surprising, less-traveled sides of our nearby neighbors to the south.
10. Cycle the 5-Country Doomsday Ride
One country’s not enough? This 5-week, 60-mile-a-day cycling expedition starts in San Jose, Costa Rica in mid-November, and ends in Belize in late December. It started in 2012, for the prophesied end of the Maya Long Count calendar, and is one of the most intense ways to immerse yourself in Central American culture. You’ll pedal 1,678 miles through tiny villages, next to massive volcanoes, and alongside untouched, pristine beaches. You’ll have a sore ass, but you’ll cover Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize on what’s sure to be the ride of your life. ($5,900; tourdafrique.com)
comments powered by Disqus
- Editor Obsession: Shoes We LoveOur editors' picks for the best shoes for the coming season.
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.