From jungles to volcanoes to the ultimate surf spots, discover the surprising, less-traveled sides of our nearby neighbors to the south.
2. Spelunk the Crystal Maiden Cave
If you’ve never been in a cave, Aktun Tunichil Muknal is a must. In addition to swimming-wading-squeezing-crawling-hiking a half mile deep into the Maya underworld, you get to experience a unique experiment in the world of archaeology and tourism. In the ATM caves, officials have left 1000-year-old bones, pots, and other artifacts in situ, instead of hauling them off to labs and museums. The crystal maiden herself is a full-body skeleton, covered in calcite crystals which sparkle in your headlamp’s light. ($110 day trip; $280 overnight; pacztours.net)
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Savory Nutrition BarsBars that taste like a meal, not a candy bar.
- 6 Strategic Accessories for Fine-Tuning Your LookDial in your style with these smart and sophisticated pieces.
- 11 Intimidating Foods and How to Prepare ThemDon’t let these dishes deter you. Learn to cook like a chef, from a chef.
- 20 Best Forearm ExercisesPump up your forearms with these 20 moves.