From jungles to volcanoes to the ultimate surf spots, discover the surprising, less-traveled sides of our nearby neighbors to the south.
2. Spelunk the Crystal Maiden Cave
If you’ve never been in a cave, Aktun Tunichil Muknal is a must. In addition to swimming-wading-squeezing-crawling-hiking a half mile deep into the Maya underworld, you get to experience a unique experiment in the world of archaeology and tourism. In the ATM caves, officials have left 1000-year-old bones, pots, and other artifacts in situ, instead of hauling them off to labs and museums. The crystal maiden herself is a full-body skeleton, covered in calcite crystals which sparkle in your headlamp’s light. ($110 day trip; $280 overnight; pacztours.net)
comments powered by Disqus
- Editor Obsession: Shoes We LoveOur editors' picks for the best shoes for the coming season.
- Six Spirits That Will Save Your Holiday SeasonThey're key to any holiday gathering.
- 8 Holiday Cocktails Made with MoonshineMust-try recipes from America's most visited distillery.
- Form CheckThe easy reminders for five basic lifts.