From jungles to volcanoes to the ultimate surf spots, discover the surprising, less-traveled sides of our nearby neighbors to the south.
5. Swim with Whale Sharks in Utila
The Bay Islands, off the north coast of Honduras, make up a unique clump of paradise, with immediate access to world class diving. Each island has its own culture, rhythm, and vibe. Utila is the most low-key and affordable of the Bay Islands, the perfect place to finally get that PADI Open Water Diver certification you’ve been talking about. Utila is small, but just big enough for an airstrip so you can fly there. Go during a full moon in April or May and you can swim with whale sharks, the largest fish in the world. You won’t soon forget jumping in the water with a creature as big as a school bus. ($180 for PADI Open Water Diver Certification; $40 for a single-day, two-take adventure dive; utiladivecenter.com)
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Healthy Snack Recipes for Building MuscleQuick and easy recipes to satisfy your taste buds.
- Life SaversTen foods to improve heart health.
- Shoe Watch: StrappedAdd some flair to your shoe collection for fall
- Is Your Diet Giving You a Deficiency?If you'd classify your diet as Paleo, vegan or g-free, read this.