You’re well aware that hitting the gym can knock your stress level down a few notches and flood your body with feel-good endorphins. But the mental health benefits of exercise go beyond its immediate mood-boosting effects. Our partners at Greatist recently took a look at all of the ways that working out makes your brain work better. Here are a few that we were most psyched about:
- Interval workouts can cut through anxiety. Studies show that moderate-to-high intensity cardio sessions turn up the release of brain chemicals that make anxious exercisers feel calmer.
- Working out makes you smarter. Research suggests that aerobic exercise helps create new brain cells and improves the way your brain works. Tough workouts can also boost decision-making, higher thinking, and learning.
- Exercise breaks help you get more done at work. Workers who regularly break for short walks or jogs have more energy and are more productive than their sedentary peers.
- How to Train Your Brain to Remember AnythingNever forget your gym locker combo or what’s on the grocery list again. Here, the two-time winner of the USA Memory Championship shares his secret tactic.
- Study: Short Yoga Sessions Boost Brain PowerThe benefits of yoga stretch beyond injury prevention and stress reduction. A 20-minute mat session also makes your brain work better, according to new research.