101 Ways to Burn Belly Fat Fast
Ready to lose your gut once and get rid of love handles once and for all? Our experts offer up 101 easy, doable (and yes, even fun) ways to shed fat—without cutting out fries or running stairs from now until doomsday.
Cheat once a week.
Use the meal as a reward for a week's worth of hard work, or the completion of a project you've been dreading. "It's OK for people to blow one meal a week without feeling guilty," says James W. Anderson, M.D., director of the Metabolic Research Group at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. "If you follow a healthy diet 95% of the time, you can relax and enjoy yourself the other 5% of the time without gaining weight," he says.
Row to the sky.
Every time you complete 10 reps on the rowing machine, lift the handles straight up over your head—without bending your elbows—for two consecutive repetitions before returning to normal rowing form. This works your shoulders and back harder, as well as your legs, since they have to produce more power in order to give you the momentum to perform the move, says McGarr.
Avoid white bread.
When Tufts University researchers studied the waistlines and diets of 459 people, they found that even in men of similar age and activity level, those who ate white bread frequently weighed more than those who didn't. "The calories from white bread and refined grains just seem to settle at the waistline more than calories from other foods," says Katherine Tucker, Ph.D., the study author.
Keep an eye on portion sizes.
"Most people who have been lean their whole lives have a much better understanding of proper portion size than people who are overweight," says Deborah Riebe, Ph.D., a professor in the department of kinesiology at the University of Rhode Island. "If they go out to eat, they're much more likely to ask for a doggie bag right away or to leave food on their plate rather than cleaning it up," she says.
Never forbid yourself a favorite food.
Here's a shocker: When a group of U.K. researchers told 30 women to avoid chocolate, then packed them into a room filled with the stuff, the women were much more likely to sneak a bite than individuals who hadn't been given the order. Blame the allure of the forbidden: The more you tell yourself you can't eat something you love, the more you're going to want it.
When you exercise on the rowing machine, try this interval workout: Row for 60 seconds, note the distance on the machine, then rest 60 seconds. Repeat, only this time, row for 55 seconds and try to match or better your distance from the first time. Rest 55 seconds, then repeat, reducing the time to 50 seconds. Continue until you can't beat your original distance.
Sneak extra activity into your day.
Pace around your office while talking on the phone; run into the bank to cash your check instead of using the drive-thru. When researchers at the Mayo Clinic fed a group of volunteers an extra 1,000 calories a day over the course of eight weeks, they found sedentary individuals gained eight times more weight than those who fidgeted a lot during the day.
Turn off The Late Show after the monologue.
Or give up the morning visit with Matt and Katie—whatever it takes to grab a few more minutes of sleep each day. When researchers at the University of Chicago studied men who were sleep-deprived, they found that after just a few days, their bodies had a much harder time processing glucose in the blood—a problem common in overweight diabetics. When the individuals returned to a more normal seven to eight hours of sleep a night, however, their metabolisms returned to normal.