1. Set a box behind you so that when you squat down on it the creases of your hips are below your knees. Now set up in a squat rack or cage.
2. Grasp the bar as far apart as is comfortable and step under it. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and nudge the bar out of the rack.
3. Step back and stand with your feet shoulder width and your toes turned slightly outward.
4. Take a deep breath and bend your hips back and then bend your knees to lower your body until you’re on the box. Pause for a moment but don’t relax, and then extend your hips to come back up.
5. Perform several warmup sets, keeping your reps to five or fewer.
6. Gradually work up to the heaviest weight that you can perform three reps with (this should take at least five sets). Refer back to chapter 2 for instructions on how to work up appropriately. Be sure to use a spotter or perform your sets in a power rack with spotter bars in place.