With 13 grams of carbs per servings, this beefed-up salad combines grilled flank steak with beets, spinach, strawberries, radishes, and almonds. It’s also a perfect salad to bring to work the next day for lunch—but pack the dressing on the side and pour right before eating.
Skill Level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
For the Champagne-Shallot Vinaigrette
¼ cup champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
6 ounces green beans, trimmed
Cooking spray or oil for grill grates
1 pound flank steak
6 ounces baby spinach
1 cup quartered strawberries
1 cup thinly sliced radishes
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
To make the vinaigrette
1. In a small food processor, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and purée until smooth and emulsified.
To make the salad
1. Bring a small pot of water to boil; add green beans and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until bright green. Drain and run green beans under cold water or shock in a bowl of ice water.
2. Spray grill grates with nonstick cooking spray or brush grates with oil. Heat grill to 500° F.
3. Place steak on the grill and cover to cook, flipping once, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
4. Transfer steak to cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak against the grain.
5. Drain green beans and pat dry. In a large bowl, toss together baby spinach, blanched green beans, strawberries, radishes, toasted almonds, and just enough of the shallot vinaigrette to coat lightly. Portion onto four plates, top with sliced steak, drizzle with additional vinaigrette, and serve.
Nutrition Information (per serving – 1/4th recipe)
Calories: 385; Total Fat: 25 grams; Saturated Fat: 6 grams; Protein: 28 grams; Carbohydrates: 13 grams; Sugar: 5 grams; Fiber: 4.5 grams; Cholesterol: 74 milligrams; Sodium: 400 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Jessica Fishman Levinson, MS, RDN, CDN of Nutritioulicious.
The Making of The 21-Day Shred and the Shred Series >>>