This delicious snack has a flavorful kick and gorgeous hue. Combining goat cheese with Greek yogurt doesn’t change the flavor (the yogurt picks up the flavor of the cheese), but it does decrease the calories to fewer than 200 per serving.
Skill level: Beginner
Serves: 8 (3 crostinis per serving)
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
1/2 whole-grain baguette (8 ounces)
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5 1/2 ounces jarred fire-roasted red bell peppers
4 ounces soft goat cheese (I like Chavrie)
2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the baguette into 24 slices, each ¼-inch thick. Arrange them in an even layer on a baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and salt. Brush the oil over both sides of the baguette slices. Bake, turning the slices over halfway through, until the bread is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, slice the red peppers lengthwise into 24 ¾-inch wide slivers.
5. Chop the scallions, both white and green parts. In a medium bowl, combine the chopped scallions, goat cheese, yogurt, thyme, and black pepper.
6. To assemble, spread about 1 teaspoon of cheese mixture over a piece of toasted baguette. Fold a red pepper over the cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, and serve.
Recipe from The Greek Yogurt Kitchen: More Than 130 Delicious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Day by Toby Amidor, MS, RD. Used with permission of Grand Central Publishing. All rights reserved. Photo by Hollan Publishing.
The Coolest Condiment You've Never Heard of >>>