- 4 lb beef chuck
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lard
- ⅔ cup beef broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprinkle roast lightly all over with salt, if using. In a small bowl, mix together pepper, allspice, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over both sides of roast and rub in well. Stab it all over with a fork.
- Core tomatoes, cut in chunks, and put in food processor. Peel onion and cut it in chunks; throw in food processor with tomatoes. Pulse until chopped. Now add olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar. Run the processor till you’ve got a thin paste.
- Put roast in a big zipper-lock bag and pour in mixture from food processor. Seal bag, pressing out air as you go. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Pull out roast; drain and reserve marinade. In a Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, melt lard and sear roast on both sides.
- Now add marinade, beef broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cover and let cook for a good 2 ½ to 3 hours, until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. Now turn up heat and reduce juices in pot until they’re starting to thicken up. Pour sauce into gravy boat and serve with pot roast.
NUTRITION: 763 calories; 59 g fat; 50 g protein; 7 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 6 g net carbs per serving.
Looking for a rapid-fat loss solution? The 21-Day Shred, your blueprint to building a rock solid, shredded body is back and better than ever. Get the full plan on your iPhone and iPad devices or download your PDF copy.
- 11 Intimidating Foods and How to Prepare ThemDon’t let these dishes deter you. Learn to cook like a chef, from a chef.
- The Unique Health Benefits of Eight NutsCrack the health code.
- More Muscle in Less TimeGet in the shape of your life with two workouts of less than an hour a week.
- 21 Things to Add to Your Home GymBuilding a home gym? Pick from these 21 products.