With its attention to lean proteins and fresh produce, you don’t have to be on the full Paleo plan to reap the diet's rewards. Time to get cooking.
DINNER: Spiced Pot Roast
- 4 lb beef chuck
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lard
- ⅔ cup beef broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprinkle roast lightly all over with salt, if using. In a small bowl, mix together pepper, allspice, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over both sides of roast and rub in well. Stab it all over with a fork.
- Core tomatoes, cut in chunks, and put in food processor. Peel onion and cut it in chunks; throw in food processor with tomatoes. Pulse until chopped. Now add olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar. Run the processor till you’ve got a thin paste.
- Put roast in a big zipper-lock bag and pour in mixture from food processor. Seal bag, pressing out air as you go. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Pull out roast; drain and reserve marinade. In a Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, melt lard and sear roast on both sides.
- Now add marinade, beef broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cover and let cook for a good 2 ½ to 3 hours, until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. Now turn up heat and reduce juices in pot until they’re starting to thicken up. Pour sauce into gravy boat and serve with pot roast.
NUTRITION: 763 calories; 59 g fat; 50 g protein; 7 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 6 g net carbs per serving.
comments powered by Disqus
- Signs You Look SickYour body might be telling you it's time to see a doctor.
- 10 Reasons We Love J-LawCheck out why we love the 'Hunger Games' hottie.
- 8 Ways to Stay Healthy This WinterWhat does it really take to build your defenses against the common cold?
- The 5 Toughest Yoga Positions for GuysTackle them to achieve the ultimate in strength and balance.