With its attention to lean proteins and fresh produce, you don’t have to be on the full Paleo plan to reap the diet's rewards. Time to get cooking.
SIDE DISH: Apple-Walnut Coleslaw
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 apple
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (See: Mayonnaise in the Jar Recipe)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Spread walnuts on a shallow baking tin and place in oven. Set your oven timer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred cabbage. Quarter and core apple, then cut in matchstick strips. Put cabbage and apple in a big mixing bowl.
- Measure the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk them together.
- When the timer beeps, taste one walnut bit and see if they’re toasty. If so, add them to the mixing bowl. If not, give them another 2 minutes, then add to the salad.
- Now pour on the dressing and toss to coat. You can chill this for a few hours, but it’s awfully good freshly made.
NUTRITION: 183 calories; 17 g fat; 3 g protein; 8 g carbohydrate; 2 g dietary fiber; 6 g net carbs per serving.
comments powered by Disqus