When you’re young and healthy, it’s hard to get hung up on taking care of your ticker. But when cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death for men in the United States—and risk factors, like high blood pressure, high LDL cholesterol, diabetes and obesity, are tied to what you eat—it’s never too early to adopt some heart-healthy eating habits. But that doesn’t mean you need to down a bowl of oatmeal at every meal. We asked Richard Collins, MD, a.k.a. The Cooking Cardiologist to hook us up with some heart-healthy recipes that actually taste good. These four are packed with cardiac-conscious ingredients, like lean meats, antioxidants, healthy fats and low-fat dairy.
> Buffalo Blues Sliders
> Guiltless Potato Chips with No-Cook Walnut Pesto
> Green Tea-Poached Halibut with Blueberry Salsa
> Heart-Healthy Chocolate Almond Truffles
BUFFALO BLUES SLIDERS
A Note from The Cooking Cardiologist: Buffalo or bison is relatively lean and rich in omega-3 fats, as the meat is traditionally grass-fed. Worth noting: Leaner meat requires moisture or else the outside will char and the inside will be raw. The secret is to keep the grill hydrated. Using a marinade brush, coat the grill’s surface with organic vegetable broth.
- 2 pounds choice lean ground buffalo
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 4 oz. of Maytag blue cheese
- 10 toasted whole-wheat mini slider buns
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground buffalo, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt. Form 10 mini burger patties.
- Prepare an open grill for moderate direct-heat grilling. Grill the patties over medium-hot coals, keeping the patties moist with the organic spray bottle of vegetable broth. Cook to 160 degrees F.
- On each buffalo patty, place blue cheese, divided equally over the 10 patties. During the last minute of grilling, close the lid on the grill. Allow cheese to melt for approximately one minute.
- Place the opened burger buns on the grill and toast until warm and browned. Place patties on the toasted buns.