GREEN TEA-POACHED HALIBUT WITH BLUEBERRY SALSA
A Note from The Cooking Cardiologist: This recipe is loaded with antioxidants, thanks to the heart-healthy compounds found in green tea and blueberries.
For the fish:
- 6 cups prepared green tea (use 1 tea bag per 2 cups of water)
- 8 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 4-oz. fresh halibut fillets
For the blueberry salsa:
- ½ cup pomegranate/blueberry juice
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and sorted
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Fresh blueberries for garnish
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet with the pomegranate or blueberry juice, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Simmer until thickened, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the blueberries, jalapenos, red onion, garlic and red pepper.
- Simmer until onions are softened, approximately 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the green tea as directed above. The tea should be brewed to a weak consistency, as the green tea flavors will concentrate while poaching.
- In a medium skillet with 2-inch sides or a saucepan, add the tea, peppercorns, ginger and green onions. Bring to a boil.
- Add the halibut to the boiling tea bath with a slotted spatula. Each halibut fillet should be fully immersed in poaching liquid.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat and cover. Allow the halibut to poach slowly, off the heat, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the halibut with a slotted spatula and place on a serving plate.
- Top the fish with blueberry salsa and garnish with fresh blueberries.
- Tonight’s Easy Dinner Idea: Healthy Chicken Kebabs Yet another way to make chicken breast un-boring? Skewer the lean protein with some super food vegetables, cook it up, and call it a meal. Here, the easy recipe.
- Get This Healthy Smoothie Recipe From Celebrity Fitness Trainer, Harley PasternakThe man responsible for the curves on Kim Kardashian and Megan Fox whips up his favorite weight-loss smoothie.