1 butternut squash
16 asparagus stalks, woody ends trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
4 6-oz tuna steaks
Freshly ground black pepper
For the vinaigrette
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 small red onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1) Peel or cut off the outer skin of the butternut squash, cut it into 12 wedges, and scrape out the inner seeds.
2) Cook the asparagus in a pan of boiling water for approximately 2–3 minutes. Remove the stalks with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3) For the vinaigrette, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Add the onions and cook for 4–5 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add the honey, and let the mixture caramelize gently in the pan for another 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add the balsamic vinegar, remaining oil, and chopped mint. Mix well, season with black pepper, and set aside.
4) Preheat a grill or grill pan until hot. Toss the butternut squash wedges and asparagus with some oil, garlic, and red chili pepper. Place the squash on the grill to cook for 10–12 minutes, then add the asparagus. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden and lightly caramelized. Remove and keep warm.
5) Season the tuna, then brush with a little olive oil. Place on the grill for 2–3 minutes per side, or until the tuna is cooked rare (longer if you prefer it more done).
6) Arrange the tuna steaks on a bed of the grilled squash and asparagus, spoon the onion and mint vinaigrette over the top, and serve.
Calories: 407 calories
Protein: 44 g
Carbs: 15 g
Fat: 19 g f
Fiber: 2.5 g
Instead of tossing out the squash seeds, try roasting them. (They’re a good source of protein, vitamin K, and copper.) Wash under running water to remove squash fibers, pat dry, and toss with a bit of olive oil, some sea salt, and then Cajun spice mix, cumin, or paprika. Spread seasoned seeds evenly on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 20–30 minutes, or until golden brown.