Today (January 8) marks Elvis Presley's birthday! In honor of the American icon, we're whipping up his all-time favorite meal: fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. OK, so we won't be making it exactly as the King ordered because let's face it: that sandwich is one big, fat caloric-bomb, even for a cheat day. The original is made with honey, peanut butter, bacon, and sliced ripe banana, smack in the middle of two pieces of white bread—then "fried" on a griddle. If you want a meal that's fit for a King without the royal pains, make these ingredient swaps:
- 100% whole-grain wheat bread over white bread: Whole grains help keep heart disease at bay.
- Two tablespoons of nut butter, which contains about seven grams of muscle-building protein and chock-full of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
- A small drizzle of raw honey (versus the standard commercial kind).
- Sliced banana, which is packed with the potassium you need to maintain nerve and muscle function.
- And go ahead and use a slice of center-cut bacon. You might be inclined to go with the turkey variety, but you'd be shocked at how much more fat and sodium it contains.
"Grill" over medium heat in a nonstick skillet till brown, about 1-2 minutes, then flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes.