This week, Men's Fitness is teaming up with the NBA to celebrate NBA FIT Live Healthy Week. While all-star athletes will be promoting fitness and healthy living in communities around the nation, we're camping out in the kitchen. Each day, we'll deliver a series of low-calorie, muscle-building, athlete-caliber recipes designed by world-class chefs, like Mario Batali, Candice Kumai, Marc Forgione, Bill Telepan, Ali Maffucci, and Roble Ali.
Dinner: Easy Peanut Noodles with Chicken
This sweet, spicy, and nutty recipe is like Chinese take-out that you can make right at home. So, dig in today and save some for lunch tomorrow.
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Heaping 1/4 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps or 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water and then drain the pasta through a colander. Rinse the pasta under cold running water for a minute or 2 to chill the noodles. Give them a few shakes to remove the excess water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until golden-brown on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, stirring often, about 1 minute. Stir in the peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, pepper flakes, and reserved cooking water and cook until it becomes creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and the drained noodles and serve sprinkled with the scallions.
Recipe adapted from Pretty Delicious by Candice Kumai
More Recipes From NBA FIT Live Healthy Week:
- NBA FIT Live Healthy Week: The Better Burger and Homemade Quick PicklesBeef up with a mouthwatering lean sirloin burger recipe from celebrity chef Candice Kumai.
- NBA FIT Live Week Healthy Recipes: Marc Forgione's Spicy FrittataA quick and easy morning muscle-builder with a kick.