So you went shopping this weekend and bought some lean ground beef. Great. But do you have any idea what the heck to do with it?
No worries. Westside Market NYC’s Maria Zoitas (you may remember her easy baked salmon or chicken and rice recipe) is here with her delicious—and surprisingly healthy—take on a classic comfort food, Homemade Italian Meatloaf.
Just prep your loaf as soon as you get home from work or the gym, then pop it in the oven for 45 minutes while you shower. You’ll have a lean, protein-packed, iron-rich main dish—and plenty of leftovers—by the time Monday Night Football starts. Brilliant.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (92% lean and 96% extra lean both work)
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 small can tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until lightly browned.
3. Using your hands, mix together ground meat, bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, parsley, basil and cooked onion and garlic. Shape mixture in a loaf and place in shallow pan.
4. Pour tomato sauce over loaf. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Let sit for ten minutes before slicing.
- Can Eating Fruits and Veggies Make You Happier?Load up on produce: A new study finds a surprising connection between how much you eat—and your happiness.
- Should You Eat Protein Every 3 Hours?If you want to gain muscle, listen up. A new study found that muscle growth might depend not only on how much protein you eat—but when you eat it.