Place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate before heading off to work, and get grilling when you get home. Then kick back and enjoy your night with this mouthwatering Indian-inspired meal.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 35 minutes, plus marinating time
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
For the marinade
1 cup low fat Greek style yogurt
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
1 inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the assembly
1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes, about 1 ½ inches each
4 wooden skewers, soaked in water for an hour, or metal skewers
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup diced tomato
¼ cup finely chopped scallions,
2 tortillas, pita or naan bread, sliced in half
Lemon wedges for garnish
1. Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Add the chicken cubes, mix to well to coat, cover and let marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight.
2. When ready to grill, take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes in advance. Wipe off excess marinade, put 4 chicken cubes on each skewer, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Pre-heat the grill to medium-high (400-450 degrees) and make sure grates are wiped clean to avoid having the chicken stick to the grill.
4. Cook chicken 5-6 minutes per side, until meat is firm and just cooked through. Place skewers on a plate, cover loosely with foil, and set aside.
5. While chicken is resting, lightly grill the bread on each side until warmed through.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the cucumber, tomato and scallions, and season with salt and pepper.
7. For the assembly, place one piece of bread on a plate, sprinkle with half a cup of chopped salad, top with one chicken skewer and serve with lemon wedge.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 317; Total Fat: 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 34 grams; Carbohydrates: 24 grams; Sugars: 4 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 85 milligrams; Sodium: 717 milligrams
Recipe and photo provided by chef and culinary instructor Jennifer Rossano
15-Minute Low-Calorie Recipes >>>