Toss the chicken, vegetables, broth, and seasoning into the slow cooker before leaving for work and come home to moist, delicious chicken to use for Tuesday taco night.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 8 hours, 20 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 8 hours
For slow cooked chicken:
½ cup yellow onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, diced
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 rib celery, sliced
5 medium mushrooms, chopped
2½ pounds organic chicken thighs
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon whole dried Mexican oregano, smashed between your palms
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
½ cup chicken broth
¼ cup torn cilantro leaves
Toppings for tacos:
Shredded cheddar cheese
Diced avocado or guacamole
Freshly squeezed lime juice
1. Cut all vegetables and add to slow cooker.
2. Season chicken with all dry seasonings listed (from paprika to ground black pepper).
3. Lay chicken on top of the vegetables and pour tomatoes, chicken broth, and cilantro over the meat and vegetables.
4. Cover and cook on low heat setting for eight hours.
5. Once chicken is cooked, transfer a few pieces of meat and 1/4 to 1/2 cup broth out of the slow cooker into a large bowl. With two forks, shred the meat. Continue adding chicken and some broth to the bowl until all meat is shredded. Either transfer meat back into the cooker to keep it warm, or keep it in a separate bowl for easy taco assembly.
To Assemble Tacos:
6. Warm corn tortillas over a cast iron griddle (a comal or placa) individually or stack four to six corn tortillas wrapped in foil in a 250 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-15 minutes. Or, stack four to six corn tortillas wrapped inside a damp cloth towel and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until pliable.
7. Lay down a tortilla and fill with about 1/4 cup shredded slow cooked chicken, two teaspoons of slow cooked vegetables, one teaspoon of cilantro, a tablespoon of diced tomato, one tablespoon of shredded cheese, diced avocado and juice from 1/2 a key lime. Repeat process and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (per 2 taco serving)
Calories: 160; Total Fat: 6 grams; Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams; Protein: 12 grams: Carbohydrates: 14 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Sodium: 80 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Christy Wilson, RD.
14 Foods to Kick Out of the Kitchen Forever >>>