These gluten-free, naturally sweetened vegan protein bars are made from superfoods like flax, coconut oil, dates, and cacao nibs. They’re a great mid-afternoon snack or grab-and-go breakfast.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to finish: 20 minutes, plus refrigerator time
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 0 minutes
2 cups unflavored hemp protein powder
½ cup ground flax meal
½ cup cacao or cocoa powder
¼ cup granulated monk fruit sweetener (like Norbu) or granulated Stevia (like Natvia), optional
2 cups nut butter of choice (like peanut butter)
½ cup coconut oil, melted
10 pitted medjool dates
1 cup cacao nibs, plus more for garnish
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
1. Lightly grease a 14" rectangular pan and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade, pulse the protein powder, flax meal, cocoa powder, and sweetener (if using) together a couple times to combine.
3. Add the nut butter, coconut oil, and dates, and process until the batter comes together in a large mass and there are no clumps of date left. You may need to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl a couple times to make sure everything gets incorporated.
4. Add the cacao nibs, and pulse 2-3 times to incorporate (or transfer to a bowl and fold them in by hand).
5. Turn the dough into the prepared pan, and use your hand or a spatula to press into a single, tightly packed layer.
6. Sprinkle additional cacao nibs and shredded coconut on top, if you want, for added texture and flavor.
7. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.
Nutrition information (per bar, without optional ingredients):
Calories: 335; total fat: 24g; saturated fat: 10g; protein: 13g; carbohydrates: 18g; sugar: 6g; fiber: 8g; cholesterol: 0mg; sodium: 122mg
Recipe and photo by Nora Schlesinger of A Clean Bake.
Start your day with 10 of the Healthiest Breakfasts >>>