NBA All-Star and hall of famer Earl 'The Pearl' Monroe has teamed up on the Diabetes Restaurant Month program to educate people about healthier menu options. After retiring from basketball, Monroe was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The NBA great has been able to control his diabetes by eating right and getting exercise. Here, The Pearl shares one of his favorite recipes with Men's Fitness. Ingredients (Yields 10 servings)
- 1 1/3 pounds extra lean ground turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice or ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 16-ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 15-ounce can herb tomato sauce, undrained
- 1 16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- Whole-wheat wafers
Fresh Cilantro Sour Cream (Yields 10 servings)
- 1 cup non-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat and sauté ground turkey until brown.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and cook until tender.
- Mix together the dry seasonings and add to the turkey.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans to the turkey mixture and simmer about 15 minutes, until the chili thickens and the flavors meld.
- Serve with 2 tablespoons of cilantro sour cream and whole-wheat wafers.