Ever turn down a drink at a bar and hear someone refute, “One shot won’t kill you!”? Well, that’s not entirely true. It can—and for 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon (now 20), it almost did at Oscar’s Wine Bar and Bistro in Lancaster, England, The Guardian reports.
Scanlon had her stomach removed after drinking a smoking liquid nitrogen shot called the Nitro-Jagermeister, given to her for free by an employee on her birthday. Almost immediately after taking the shot, smoke started coming out of her nose and mouth, her stomach "expanded," and she became violently ill. Scanlon was rushed to an infirmary for surgery to remove her stomach and small bowel after the liquid nitrogen had perforated her stomach and destroyed the internal tissue. As for Oscar’s Wine Bar and Bistro, they’ve been fined £100,000 (about $155,000) after “pleading guilty to one count of failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment, admitting it failed to ensure the shot-sized cocktail was safe for consumption.”
This may be an extreme case, but you should know that foods—natural foods, not foods soaked in chemicals—have the potential to kill you, too. Not to be alarmist, or prevent you from enjoying some nutritious fruits, veggies, and the sort, but you should know the dangers. From pits to leaves, and everything in between, take note of where these foods’ naturally occurring chemicals and toxins are lurking. While some should be avoided at all costs, others are just a matter of learning how much to eat, and how to prepare them. Your curiosity get the best of you yet? Check out the 12 foods with the potential to drop you to your knees.