If you're Summer Body Project is fat loss this season then you've got to try this low-carb chicken and broccoli with whole wheat rotini dish for dinner. It's got the perfect balance of protein to pack on muscle and just enough carbohydrates to support recovery and keep energy levels high. The dish makes for a great pre-workout lunch or dinner option.
8 servings: 438 calories, 27 grams of protein.
This recipe was prepared and photographed by Rob Smith.
What you need:
· ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
· medium onion, chopped
· 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
· 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
· 6-8 cups of broccoli florets
· 2-4 cups grape tomatoes, halved
· 1 package whole-wheat pasta
· Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
· 1 cup of white cheddar cheese, shredded
Making it happen:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. (Do not let the onion brown).
3. Add the chicken, stirring until no longer pink throughout. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook until tender (3-4 minutes). Transfer the broccoli and tomatoes to the saucepan with the chicken. Cook until the broccoli is soft.
5. Bring the large pot of water to a boil again, and add the pasta. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta, saving 1 cup of pasta water.
6. Add the pasta, water, salt, and pepper to the broccoli mixture, and toss to mix. Add the cheese and mix again.
7. Serve or let cool and portion out for a few planned meal options.