12. Notre Dame Fighting Irish senior guard Jerian Grant nailed a deep three-pointer to put his team ahead two points over the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats with just over two minutes to go.
11. Former No. 1 overall NBA draft pick Adam Morrison is now a video assistant for his alma mater Gonzaga. He looked less-than-thrilled to be back on the sidelines for an Elite Eight showdown with rival Duke.
10. A member of the Duke Blue Devils band was jubilant after receiving a high-five by senior guard Quinn Cook during the team’s 66-52 win over Gonzaga.
9. Arizona Wildcats sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson suffered what appeared to be a gruesome looking leg injury after his teammate and fellow forward Stanley Johnson fought through a pick in the vicinity of Jefferson. He would later return to the game.
8. Climbing the ladder. That's exactly what the Kentucky Wildcats squad has continued to do since the college basketball season started, and it clearly didn't let up in their demonstrative win over West Virginia.
7. That's one way to beat the full-court press. Nifty passing, and an eye-catching alley-oop from Notre Dame sophomore guard Demetrious Jackson to Zach Auguste, crippled Wichita State's defense on this possession.
6. Though they would go onto lose, Hawkeyes junior forward Jarrod Uthoff dunked all over the Bulldogs defense.
4. Spartans senior guard/forward Branden Dawson destroyed the rim with an emphatic dunk on an MSU fastbreak.
3. “Villanova Piccolo Girl” went viral after Nova was upset by N.C. State, and the band member was caught crying while playing.
The mystery piccolo player, Roxanne Chalifoux later went on ‘The Tonight Show’ with Jimmy Fallon playing the schools fight song without shedding a single tear. The Wildcats may be eliminated from the tournament, but “Piccolo Girl,” goes down in Madness memorable moments.
2. Georgia State junior guard R.J. Hunter made his coach/dad proud. The 21-year-old made his dad fall out of his seat with his miraculous go-ahead three-pointer in the final seconds of a 57-56 victory over Baylor.
Here is Hunter having a little fun, showing off an impression of his dad’s reaction.
1. Michigan State senior guard Travis Trice capped off a Spartans’ fast break with a huge slam, as former MSU alum and NBA Hall of Famer Magic Johnson gave his version of a thumbs up.