It’s the biggest job interview of their lives.
For months, college football prospects have been under the microscope, trying to impress their prospective employers—a.k.a. the 32 teams in the NFL—that they’re worth the investment of millions of dollars. With the draft starting on Thursday, there’s not much else the prospects can do to impress teams.
The Scouting Combine workouts are done. The college pro day numbers are in. The football tape has been dissected and poured over by team scouts.
But one thing they can do?
They can go into the gym and crush some big weight. Sure, lifting big the week before the draft may not do much for a player's draft prospects, but hey, it also could be the difference between a Day 1 selection and Day 2 if the right scout catches your post. It means that even after all the measurements and draft interviews, you’re still willing to get into the gym and stay working until the last moment.
Either way, these players have been getting ripped for the NFL Draft. Here’s how 21 of them did it:
21. James Conner, Pittsburgh, Running Back
20. Obi Melifonwu, Connecticut, Defensive Back
19. Charles Harris, Missouri, Defensive Line
18. Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech, Quarterback
— Bobby Stroupe (@bobbystroupe) April 21, 2017
17. Jonathan Allen, Alabama, Defensive Tackle
16. Malik Hooker, Ohio State, Safety
15. Corey Davis, Western Michigan, Wide Receiver
— Corey Davis (@c_davis_81) April 21, 2017
14. O.J. Howard, Alabama, Tight End
13. Deshaun Watson, Clemson, Quarterback
12. Jamal Adams, LSU, Safety
11. Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina, Quarterback
10. Josh Jones, NC State, Safety
— FOX Sports: PROcast (@PROcast) April 24, 2017
9. Solomon Thomas, Stanford, Defensive End
8. Dylan Haines, Texas, Safety
7. Dede Westbrook, Oklahoma, Wide Reciever
— Bobby Stroupe (@bobbystroupe) April 20, 2017
6. Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky, Guard
— FOX Sports: PROcast (@PROcast) April 10, 2017
5. Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, Defensive End
— NFL (@NFL) March 5, 2017
4. Ryan Switzer, North Carolina, Wide Receiver
— Lou Hernandez (@Loustrength) April 19, 2017
3. Davis Webb, California, Quarterback
— FOX Sports: PROcast (@PROcast) April 13, 2017
2. Christian McCaffrey, Stanford, Running Back
1. Leonard Fournette, LSU, Running Back