The most effective way to drop fat at the gym: High-intensity interval workouts. The training style can be modified for beginners—and will continue to work for seasoned gym-goers.
The following workouts—provided by Kenny Santucci, training director of Body by Solace at SOLACE New York gym in New York City, a studio that offers CrossFit and Studio classes—are high-intensity and, when coupled with a good diet, will help you shed lbs. So, if you're looking to seriously transform your body by implementing your bodyweight and gym staples like kettlebells, rowers, and barbells, you're in luck. Though that might be a poor choice of words...
Workout 1: Rowing with the Devil
Directions: Alternate EMOM (every minute on the minute) for a total of 20 minutes. Take little to no rest.
1 min: 20-Calorie Rows
1 min: 10 Burpees
On the odd minute (a.k.a. what you'll start with) - Adjust the monitor on an erg/rower so it reads calories rather than meters or Watts. Row until you burn 20 calories. If you row at a 1:45/500m pace it'll take you somewhere around a minute.
On the even minute - Hop off the rower and bang out 10 burpees
Workout 2: Belly Up
Directions: Grab a 16 or 24kg kettlebell and complete the following moves for 10 reps each, repeating the circuit until 2 minutes elapses. Take little to no rest.
10 Goblet Squat Thrusters: Hold a kettlebell by the horns—either side of the handle—and squat down. Then, explosively push through your legs and press the kettlebell overhead.
10 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls: Take a wide stance and grab a kettlebell with both hands. Hinge your hips back and bend your knees. Keeping your chest and head up, extend through your hips and knees, raising your elbows out and pulling the kettlebell to shoulder-height.
10 Kettlebell Swings
Workout 3: Summer Abs
Directions: Complete 6 rounds total, taking 30-seconds rest after each one.
- 30-Second Hollow Hold: Lie on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and arms extended overhead. Raise your upper body off the floor, using your core. Keep your arms straight (behind your head) and your toes pointed away from you. Engage your abs as you hollow your belly and slightly round your lower back. Lift your legs off the floor.
- 30 V-Ups: Lie on the floor in a hollow body position (as stated above) so your upper body is off the floor, your arms are extended overhead, and your legs are straight out in front of you. With your feet together and toes pointed, raise both legs up, keeping them completely straight, while raising your upper body off the ground. Touch your hands to your toes.
- 30 Butterfly Situps: Lie face-up on the floor with your hips open (outter thighs touching the ground), knees bent, and the soles of your feet touching. Engage your core and sit up, reaching your fingers to your toes. Slowly return to the start position.
Workout 4: Aggravated Assault
Directions: Complete 5 rounds for time, taking little to no rest.
- 10 Calories on Assault (Air Resistance) Bike: Work as quickly as you can.
- 50-Foot Double-Kettlebell Farmers Walks: With a 24 or 32kg kettlebell in either hand, walk 50 feet (or 15 meters) without stopping.
Workout 5: Push-Pull
Directions: Complete moves with reps as follows: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2. In between each set, sprint 200m. Rest as needed.
Workout 6: Dirty 30
Directions: Complete the following moves for time, taking little to no rest.
- 30 Deadlifts (225-305lb)
- 30 Calorie Row
- 30 Burpees Over the Bar: Complete a burpee, then jump over the bar from your deadlift. Keep hopping over after each rep.
Workout 7: Larenzo Lames
Directions: Complete as many rounds as you can in 12 minutes, taking little to no rest.
- 15 Renegade Row Pushups: Assume a pushup position with a 20-30lb dumbbell under or near your right hand. Row the dumbell, complete a pushup, then move the dumbbell to your left side and repeat. Keep alternating side.
- 30 Mountain Climbers (per leg)
- 15 Shoulder Press (20-30lb dumbbell)
- 30 Bent-Over Rows: Grab a barbell, palms facing down, bend your knees and lean your torso forward. Keep your back straight and chest out as you row the barbell to your chest.
Workout 8: A Walk in the Park
Directions: Complete 5 rounds, taking little to no rest in between.
- 20 Walking lunges
- 20 Tricep Dips: Perform off a 20- 24-inch box or bench.
- 20 Box jumps
Workout 9: Baller
Directions: Complete wall balls for time, then EMOM weight situps—taking little to no rest.
- 75 Wall Balls for Time (14-20min): Hold a weighted ball in front of you at chest-height with your hands on either side, toward the bottom of the ball. Keeping your shoulders back, chest up, and feet shoulder-width apart, squat down then rise explosively. Just like a thruster, draw power from your legs and drive the ball up so it strikes the wall. Catch the ball and immediately squat down in to the next rep.
- 10 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute) 10 Wall Ball Situps: Face a wall with a medicine ball/weighted ball in your hands. Lie down on your back with your knees bent. Sit up and throw the ball against the wall. Catch the ball and come back down to the start position. Rest for however much time is remaining in the minute.
Workout 10: The Beast
Directions: Complete 6 rounds of the following exercises, resting as needed.
- 600-Meter Run (One and a half times around a standard 400m track)
- 60 V-Ups
- 600-Meter Row
- 60 Pushups
- 600-Meter Med Ball Carry (14-20lb)
- 60 Jump Squats